Vanilla Choc Checkerboard Cake
827.215 Ratings •
This checkerboard chocolate cake is designed to show off your skills. Watch your guests get wow-ed as you serve up a slice.
Prep time75 min
Cooking time45 min
(plus standing time)
Select ingredients and add them to your shopping list
ADD TO SHOPPING LIST
In this recipe
NESTLÉ BAKERS’ CHOICE Dark Melts 290g
- Preheat oven to 160°C/140°C fan forced. Grease and line four 18cm round cake pans with baking paper.
- Combine flours, sugar, butter, milk and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Using an electric beater; beat on low speed for 2 minutes or until just combined. Increase speed to high and beat for 3 minutes or until the mixture is thick and pale. Evenly divide cake mixture into two bowls; add vanilla bean paste to one bowl and mix well. Add NESTLÉ BAKERS' CHOICE 100% Cocoa to remaining bowl; mix well. Divide vanilla mixture among two prepared pans, and divide chocolate mixture among remaining two prepared pans; bake 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Using a serrated knife, level cake tops.
- Meanwhile, to make Chocolate Ganache, combine NESTLÉ BAKERS' CHOICE Dark Melts and cream in large microwave-safe bowl; microwave, uncovered, on MEDIUM (50%) for 1 minute; stir; repeat in 30 second intervals until melted. Set aside until cool and thick, stirring occasionally.
- To assemble, print and cut out the template that you can download here; use the template to cut the cake into rounds.
- Coat the cut inner sides of a chocolate outer ring with a thin layer chocolate ganache and place a vanilla middle ring inside. Coat the cut inner sides of the vanilla ring with ganache and fill circle with a chocolate center. Repeat this sequence again.
- Coat the cut inner sides of a vanilla outer ring with chocolate ganache and place a chocolate middle ring inside. Coat the cut inner sides of the chocolate ring with ganache and fill circle with a vanilla center. Repeat this sequence again. You should now have four cakes each alternating in chocolate and vanilla rings.
- Sandwich the cake layers together with a little chocolate ganache, alternating layers. Spread remaining chocolate ganache over top and sides of cake.
When serving: Cut cake in half crossways across the centre to make two cakes, then slice each cake into 12 pieces.
TELL PEOPLE WHAT YOU THINK:
GET MORERECIPESin your inbox